Elsbethen, Salzburg, municipality in the district of Salzburg - Umgebung, alt. 439 m, pop. 4,744 (1981: pop. 4,005), area 23.94 km2, linear village on the right bank of the river Salzach, south-east of the city of Salzburg. - Military headquarters of Salzburg (Archduke Rainer Barracks); mission of the Montfort Fathers; main economic sector: trade (computer hardware and software, dairy products, diving equipment, light engineering precision tools, electrical engineering etc.), various crafts and trades. - Settlement dating from prehistoric to Roman times on Grillberg and "Zigeunerloch" mountains, first documented mention in 930; 15th century parish church, (Baroque alterations in 1699), stucco-decorated pulpit (around 1700), ceiling paintings by J. Rattersperger (2nd half of the 19th century); Goldenstein castle (probably 15th century, from 1878 convent of Augustinian canonesses, today houses a Hauptschule school and boarding school for girls); convent of St. Ursula at Glasenbach (built 1956-1959); Roman villa north-east of Goldenstein castle; Tennengauer Einhof (special type of farmhouse - 18th /19th centuries). Local history museum at Glasenbach, geological trail in Glasenbach gorge.