Feldbach, Styria, town in the district of Feldbach, alt. 282 m, pop. 4,228, area 3.18 km2, business centre for eastern Styria located in the valley of the Raab River. - Seat of the district of Feldbach, district court, Office of Finance, Employment Services, administrative offices for construction zoning for the Feldbach district, regional health insurance provider, hospital, Chamber of Labour, Economic Chamber, District Chamber for Agriculture and Forestry, Von-der-Groeben-Kaserne barracks, multi-purpose centre, youth centre, stadium; schools include Bundesoberstufenrealgymnasium secondary school, commercial academy; vocational school, federal trade school. The economic structure of Feldbach is characterised by the service sector (approximately 53 % of employment in 1991, in particular in trade, private, social and public services) as well as industry: Bread, cakes pastries, etc., machines, leather and feed industries, stone processing works, paper manufacturing, production of stove tiles and tinned food. - Settlement established before 1188; remains of fortifications (17th century, Grazer town gate), remains of the old bastions (15th -16th century, today tailoring and fishing museum containing the "Hexenkeller"), which once encircled the parish church (1898-1900). Franciscan monastery (1642-1647) today owned by the School Sisters, Baroque column dedicated to the Virgin Mary and old stone "Metzen" for measuring grain in the main square; city charter in 1884; fire brigade, farm machinery and folklore museums.
Literature#R. Grasmug, 8 Jahrhunderte Feldbach, 100 Jahre Stadt, 1984.