Feldkirchen in Kärnten#
Feldkirchen, Carinthia, town in the district of Feldkirchen, alt. 557 m, pop. 12,977, area 77.49 km2, tourism (271,231 overnight stays), business centre and traffic junction in the Tiebelbach valley northwest of Lake Ossiach. - Seat of the district of Feldkirchen, district court, district police headquarters, Employment Services, Chamber of Labour, Economic Chamber, Chamber of Agriculture and Forestry, continuing education centre (BFI), regional health insurance agency, Protestant welfare and social works and hospital (Waiern), social advisory centre for pedagogical-psychological services, Antonius House of the Nuns of the Cross, continuing education centre (WIFI), schools include Realgymnasium and Bundesoberstufenrealgymnasium secondary schools and a commercial academy, a commercial vocational school and a school for health workers; air field (Rabensdorf), cattle auction house. Employment: 5,010 persons (1991), of which half are employed in the production and service sectors (in particular private, social and public services, trade); shoe, linen, corrugated cardboard and packaging materials plants, turbine and electric plant construction works, steel production, production of type-writer ribbons and diskettes, carbonated beverages, chemical plant, manufacturing of wood products (saw mills, pre-fabricated wooden house components etc.), transportation.
First documented mention in 888, in 1176 belonged to the bishopric of Bamberg, hammer mills have existed here since the 17th century, under the authority of the local sovereign after 1759, city charter in 1930; late Romanesque-Gothic town parish church with a nave and two aisles with wall-paintings (13th -14th centuries) and Gothic winged altar (1515), crypt (13th century); Michaelskirche church (14th century, Baroque alterations in the 18th century); Amthof Castle (known as the Bamberg city castle residence, today a cultural centre and museum, 15th - 16th century); citizens' hospital (18th century); Biedermeier houses, water fountain (17th century) and Baroque column dedicated to the Virgin Mary (1760) in the main town square. Renaissance Gradisch Castle; church in Glanhofen (frescoes dating from around 1340, 1500); church in Hart ob Glanegg (wall-paintings, 1410-1420), fortified St. Nikolai Church (wall-paintings 14th century); fortified St. Ulrich Church (wall-paintings around 1500); late Gothic St. Urban church. Nearby are Dietrichstein Castle (16th century, first documented mention in 1136) in the Glan valley, as well as Lakes Dietrichstein, Maltschach and Flatschach.
Literature#W. Putzinger, Feldkirchen in Kaernten, 1980.