Hermagor-Pressegg, Lake, Carinthia, town in the district of Hermagor, alt. 602 m, pop. 7,403, area 204.35 km2, bi-seasonal tourism (1,041,290 overnight stays), situated in the lower Gail valley, at the entry of the Gitschtal valley, close to the Italian border, central town of the Gail valley; east of Hermagor lies Lake Pressegg, Carinthia´s warmest bathing lake (28° C). - District Commission, district court, rural police headquarters, employment services, traffic licensing office, water management office, customs authority department, Chamber of Labour, Economic Chamber, Chamber of Agriculture, local health and social insurance office, finance chamber of the Diocese of Gurk, Gailtal clinic, public psychiatric hospital, Foerolach power station of the Treibacher Industrie AG; schools: Bundesoberstufenrealgymnasium (upper-level federal mathematics-oriented secondary school), Berufsschule (vocational school), Fachschule fuer wirtschaftliche Berufe (commercial college), secondary school of commerce and trade, vocational training institute. High-level service sector (about 64 % of all 2,709 employed persons 1991): mainly personal, social and public services, hotel industry, trade; manufacturing industry: deep freezers, textile industry (fabrics, traditional Dirndl dresses), wood-working industry (bonded-wood construction, furniture), manufacture of backpacks and bags, metal-working industry. - First documented mention 1169, granted town status in 1930; late-Gothic parish church (around 1485) with late-Gothic murals and winged altarpiece (around 1500), late-Baroque high altar (mid-18th century); Protestant church (1926). Gothic parish church of Mellweg, Baroque parish church of Mitschig (around 1770), Moederndorf subsidiary church (1483) with fresco of St. Christopher (around 1525) and 2 winged altars (1510-1520). Gail Valley museum of local history and culture in Moederndorf Castle. Malenthein and Khuenburg ruins (documented 1189, in ruins since 16th century) with Romanesque keep. In the village of Egg, late-Gothic parish church (15th century) with stained glass windows (1490); Kuehnegg Castle. At Untervellach, late-Gothic subsidiary church (documented 1331, choir 1502) with late-Gothic winged altar (early 16th century), Baroque high altar (1652) and traditional murals (1613-1614).
Literature#G. Moro, Hermagor, Geschichte, Natur, Gegenwart, 1969; H. Pietschnigg, Alt-Hermagor, 1931, 1980; Kulturamt der Stadtgemeinde Hermagor-Pressegger See (ed.), 60 Jahre Hermagor. 1930-90, 1990.