Korneuburg, Lower Austria, town in the district of Korneuburg, alt. 169 m, pop. 9,730 (1981: 9,112), area 9.72 km2, situated on the northern banks of the River Danube, northeast of Vienna.- District administration office, district court, district office of the gendarmerie, provincial court and jail, labour court, employment services, financial administration office, land surveying office, regional construction office of Lower Austria, office of the provincial government of Lower Austria (building section), federal institute of agriculture and chemistry (research institute), Dabsch barracks, port, Economic Chamber, Chamber of Labour, district office of the Chamber of Agriculture, regional health insurance agency, hospital, provincial residential home for young people with vocational school, Muslim cultural and aid organisation, Stadtsaal multi-purpose hall, Musikfreundesaal concert hall, town library, music festival Korneuburger Musiktage (in May), Austrian Wine Institute, schools: Bundesgymnasium and Bundesrealgymnasium secondary schools, Handelsakademie (commercial academy), data processing school, adult education centre; thermal power plant with 4 blocks: plant 1 (built in 1962, inactive), plant 2 (built in 1975, 277 MW), plant A (built in 1959, inactive), plant B (built in 1961, 125 MW), car ferry. 5,396 people employed (1991), paper-processing industry, printing house, leather-processing industry, chemical, pharmaceutical and cosmetics industry, structural steel engineering, machine industry (e.g. cableway construction), metal-working industry, plastics processing, trading firms (building materials, household- and kitchen appliances, ironware etc.); shipyard, closed in 1993.- In the Middle Ages Korneuburg was an important crossing point on the River Danube and a commercial centre (salt, wine, grain), around 1220 it was separated from Klosterneuburg, large parts of Korneuburg were destroyed during the 2nd World War; Late Gothic parish church with neo-Gothic vault in the nave (1846) and southern tower (1900-1902); former Augustinian monastery and church (rebuilt and remodelled in 1773, stucco ornaments in the sacristy, frescoes by F. A. Maulbertsch (around 1773); ruins of the oldest preserved synagogue (after 1308) in Austria, neo-Gothic town hall (1894/1895) with integrated tower (1440-1447) and Trinity statue (1747) on the main square; some of the houses date from the 16th century; town museum.
Literature#Bezirks-Schulrat Korneuburg (ed.), Heimatbuch des politischen Bez. Korneuburg, 2 vols., 1957-1961; Oesterr. Staedtebuch, vol. IV, part 2, Die Staedte Niederoesterreichs, 1976; R. Finz, Korneuburg von der Jahrhundertwende bis heute, 1984.