Wir freuen uns über jede Rückmeldung. Ihre Botschaft geht vollkommen anonym nur an das Administrator Team. Danke fürs Mitmachen, das zur Verbesserung des Systems oder der Inhalte beitragen kann. ACHTUNG: Wir können an Sie nur eine Antwort senden, wenn Sie ihre Mail Adresse mitschicken, die wir sonst nicht kennen!
unbekannter Gast

Lauriacum#

Lauriacum, important Roman settlement in the area of Lorch, mentioned in several Antique sources (Tabula Peutingeriana, Itinerarium Antonini, Notitia Dignitatum, Ammianus Marcellinus, Codex Theodosianus, Codex Iustinianus, Passio Floriani, Martyrologium Hieronymianum, Vita Severini). First report of inscriptions on a stone in 1321, a Roman mosaic floor was found in 1765; excavations since the 2nd half of the 19th century. Archaeological finds in the Museum Lauriacum in Enns.


A small settlement already existed in the 1st century. Contains the only remaining Roman ceiling fresco in Austria, which dates back to the middle of the 2nd century. Around 200 A.D. the 2nd Italic legion established a 539 m long and 398 m large camp. Parts of the trench which was in front of the camp have been conserved. In late Antiquity it was the head office of the commander of the 2nd Italic legion (praefectus legionis secundae Italicae) and of a fleet commander (praefectus classis Lauriacensis). A planned settlement, which became an independent town (municipium) in 212, emerged west of the camp. In 341 Emperor Constantius was in Lauriacum


St. Florian, the only early Christian martyr of Austria known by name, was thrown into the River Enns on May 4, 304. A small early Christian church in the former hospital of the camp was turned into the church Maria am Anger in the Middle Ages, which but was demolished in 1792. Underneath the modern St. Laurenz basilica of Lorch, evidence of an early Christian church inside an antique building where the relics of the companions of St. Florian were venerated. Constantius, the only bishop of Lauriacum who was known by name, is mentioned in the Vita Severini. The name "Lauriacum" is of Celtic origin. Later it became "Lorahha" and "Loriaca" (791) and today it is "Lorch".

Literature#

H. Vetters, L., 1977; G. Winkler, Lorch in der Roemerzeit, 1981; Severin zwischen Roemerzeit und Voelkerwanderung, exhibition catalogue, Enns 1982; regular reports in the information leaflets of the Lauriacum museum association.