Oberpullendorf, Burgenland, town in the district of Oberpullendorf, alt. 245 m, pop. 2,640, area 12.65 km2, in the valley of the Stoober Bach stream, main town of central Burgenland, among the 4 municipalities of Burgenland with the largest Hungarian population. - District Commission, district court, Employment Services, revenue authorities, Office of Weights, Measures and Surveying, Road Administration Office, district branch of the Chamber of Agriculture, Chamber of Labour, Economic Chamber, regional health and social insurance agency, hospital, counselling centres, psychiatric day-unit, day-care centre for the disabled, commercial college, Gymnasium secondary school; 3,246 inhabitants in gainful employment (1991), of which 59 % employed in the service industry (personal, social and public services, trade, transport); industry and trade: high-technology industry, textile factory, construction companies. - Neolithic finds; iron smelting dates back to the Early Iron Age (Pingenfeld field, display of archaeologic finds in the city hall); first documented mention in 1225 as "Pula", town status since 1975; parish church and Redemptorist monastery (1935); town chapel (18th century); castle, former residence of the Rohonczy family (17th century, now houses St. Stephen's education centre).
Literature#H. Preiner, Die Wirtschaftsgeographie des Bez. Oberpullendorf, master´s thesis, Vienna 1977; E. Kulmon, Wandel der traditionellen Kultur in Oberpullendorf, doctoral thesis, Vienna 1983.