Wir freuen uns über jede Rückmeldung. Ihre Botschaft geht nur an das Administrator Team. Danke fürs Mitmachen, das zur Verbesserung des Systems oder der Inhalte beitragen kann. Ihre Nachricht (optional mit Ihrer E-Mail):
unbekannter Gast


Radstadt, province of Salzburg, town in the district of St. Johann, alt. 862 m, pop. 4,194, area 60.82 km2, bi-seasonal tourism (454,183 overnight stays in 1992), situated opposite the confluence of Taurach stream and Enns River in the upper Ennstal valley at the foot of Rossbrand Mountain; intersection of ancient roads connecting the eastern and western mountain areas (Ennstal - upper Salzachtal Valley - Tirol) as well as the north and south (Salzburg - Lungau - Carinthia - Adria). - District court, two local heritage museums (at Kapuzinerturm and Lerchen Castle), Bundesoberstufenrealgymnasium secondary school, federal hostel for school excursions (Bundesschullandheim), recreation home for young persons, two ski-jump hills (40m and 30m high); car equipment production, meat products factory, wood processing, forestry enterprise of the Oesterreichische Bundesforste AG (Austrian Federal Forests). - Founded in the 13th century, conferred the status of town in 1289. The town, which at first kept the original name of Altenmarkt, was of considerable strategic importance for the protection of the Ennstal Valley in Salzburg and the road crossing the Radstaedter Tauern pass; in the course of the peasants' war of 1526 the town was besieged but not taken. - Most parts of the town wall (1289) and its towers have been preserved; former castle (1629-1980 Capuchin monastery, today rectory); Steirertor (laid bare in 1983); late-Romanesque and Gothic parish church with choir (1417), altered in Romanesque style after 1872; late Gothic lantern (popular name "Schustersaeule"/"shoemaker's column", 1513) in the cemetery; two filial churches in Baroque style (former Capuchin church, 1629-1735; Maria Loreto, construction from1677), Protestant parish church (1995); town hall (16th - 17th centuries); Castles: Lerchen (1529, old-age home since 1905, local heritage museum in oldest part), Mauer (16th  century, coffered ceilings), Dandalier (altered in 1569); ancient Paarhof and Haufenhof farmstead types (17th and 18th centuries).


F. Zaisberger and F. Koller (eds.), Die alte Stadt im Gebirge, 1989.