Rosenburg, Lower Austria, village in the district of Horn, alt. 268 m, at the confluence of the River Taffa and the River Kamp; cadastral district of the municipality of Rosenburg-Mold. - Castle (documented mention in 1117), one of the best known Austrian fortresses (referred to in the well-known verse: "Es liegt ein Schloss in Oesterreich"). The medieval castle was enlarged between 1593 and 1597 and further extended after 1659. Destroyed by a fire around 1800, rebuilt in 1859. The tournament court and gate tower (built in 1583) lead to the forecourt and a staircase giving access to the sumptuous rooms and the library; another gate leads to the two-storey stronghold which was built onto the castle rock, with an irregularly structured rectangular courtyard; keep with gallery supported by consoles; interior dating from the 15th and 16th centuries; two balconies provide a view of the Kamptal Valley; Engelhofen prehistoric collection in the palace. Archeological excavations of pottery with curvilinear decorations in the vicinity.
Literature#Adel im Wandel, exhibition catalogue, Rosenburg 1991.