Ternitz, Lower Austria, town in the district of Neunkirchen, alt. 398 m, pop. 15,445, area 65.33 km2, situated at the confluence of the Sierning stream and the River Schwarza, at the western end of the Steinfeld plain. - Local health and social insurance offices, advisory centre for foreigners, workshop for the disabled, library of the Austrian Federation of Trade Unions (OeGB), municipal library, adult education centre, multipurpose complex, sports and community halls, Stadtpark, Kurdish cultural centre, control station of the 1st Vienna Spring Water Main; 4198 people in gainful employment, of whom approx. 60 % in production (as of 1991): medical technology, oilfield equipment technology, computer technology, plant and apparatus construction (production of high-grade steel tubes, aluminium pressure-die casting, production of tools, machine tools and saw blades), quartz production, wire mill, production of refractory construction materials. - First documented mention in 1352, municipality since 1923, town status since 1948; traditional industrial town in Lower Austria (home of the Schoeller-Bleckmann company, which was split up into 19 separate companies in 1989); modern parish church (1959); Protestant church (1964); Romanesque-Gothic fortified church in St. Johann with frescoes (from around 1270 and the 14th /15th centuries); observation vantage point on Gfieder hill (609 m).
Literature#Stadtgemeinde Ternitz (ed.), Ternitz. 50 Jahre Gemeinde, 25 Jahre Stadt, 1973; Oesterreichisches Staedtebuch vol. IV, part 3, Die Staedte Niederoesterreichs, 1982; Stadtgemeinde Ternitz (ed.), Ternitz, die Stadt im Aufbruch, 1988.