On 16 April 2009, Aziz resigned from the military to run for president in the 19 July elections, which he won.
The capital and largest city is Nouakchott, located on the Atlantic coast, which is home to around one-third of the country's 3.5 million people.
- Mauritania has largest boundary with Mali which is approximately 2237 km.
- Mauritania has shortest boundary with Algeria which is approximately 463 km.
- The largest river in Mauritania is Senegal River which is 1790 km.
- The largest export partner of Mauritania is China.
- The largest import partner of Mauritania is China.
- There are 3 seaports in Mauritania.
Special facts about Nobel Prize winners#
Tourist Attraction#A group of seasoned travelers braves the desert dunes that cover about half of Mauritania.
- The famous dishes of Mauritania are Thieboudienne, Couscous.
- Text marked as italic is taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauritania