Big Buddha Statue on Lantau Peak#
The Po Lin Monastery was founded in 1906 and initially known simply as "The Big Hut“, but renamed to its present name in 1924. The main temple houses three bronze statues of the Buddha – representing his past, present and future lives – as well as many Buddhist scriptures. The monastery is also well known for making wooden bracelets that are only sold near the Big Buddha statue. In 1918, three nuns established a private nunnery called on Lantau's Lower Keung Hill. The nunnery is dedicated to Guanyin, the Goddess of Mercy. Nowadays, only an elderly abbess remains living there.
The site can be reached by a modern cable car leading up from Tung Chung village to the visitor center called „Ngong Ping 360“ but there are also several paths leading up there from the suburbs at the foot of Lantau Peak.