unbekannter Gast


River Pegnitz with the Fronveste and the Kettensteg, 2013
© Elisabeth Ertl

The Fronveste Fronveste is part of the last town fortification and was built in 1490 at the southern outlet of the river Pegnitz at the western city wall. Originally it was used as an armoury, but later on, in the 19th century, it was turned into a prison. In 1938 a residential home for the elderly was established which was in use until 1944/45 when the building was destroyed. The Fronveste was rebuilt in 1957 and again used as residential home for the elderly until the 1980ies when it was used as lodging for students and resettlers.