Alpine Garden: the first Alpine plant garden in Austria was established by C. l´Ecluse (Clusius) and J. Eichholz in 1573 in Vienna. The following Alpine gardens exist today: Vienna, Belvedere (the oldest in Europe: established 1803, has been in its current place since 1865, approx. 4,000 plant types - mainly mountain plants - from all continents are cultivated); Bad Aussee; Linz (since 1954); Frohnleiten (private); Schoenbuehel an der Donau (Wachauer Alpengarten); Alpinum beim Ottohaus (Rax Mountain); in the Botanical Gardens of Vienna, Graz, Linz, Innsbruck (Hoetting) and Klagenfurt; Alpinum Dortmunder Huette (Kuehtai); Alpine garden on the Hahnenkamm Ridge (Reutte); Alpine garden near the Lindauer Huette mountain refuge (Tschagguns/Montafon); Alpengarten Villacher Alpe (on Dobratsch mountain).
The Alpine garden of the University of Innsbruck on Patscherkofel mountain (alt. 1,905-1,945 m) was built 1930-1935 under A. Sperlich and A. Pisek, after the first high Alpine garden in Austria had been built near the peak of Blaser mountain in 1875 (closed in 1898).
Further reading#A. Pisek, Sonderheft der Schlern-Schriften, 1964; R. Erlach, Fuehrer durch den Alpengarten Villacher Alpe, 1993.