Bleiburg, Carinthia, town (acquired statute in 1370), in the district of Voelkermarkt, alt. 479 m, pop. 4,121, area 69.70 km2, ancient border town in the Middle Feistritz valley north of Hochpetzen mountain (alt. 2,113 m). - District court, customs office, Goiginger barracks, old people's home run by the order of Franciscan Tertiaries; in 1991, 50% of the workforce were employed in the production and service sector respectively (esp. trade): metal (e.g. foundries) and wood processing (furniture, parquet flooring), production of bed linen and gloves. - First documented mention in 1228, name "B." derives from lead mining on Petzen mountain. Late Gothic parish church (1512) with frescoes and a late Gothic baptismal font, altars (18th century); former hospital chapel (1766) with frescoes; Baroque column erected in memory of the plague (1724); Thurn castle on a hill east of B. (restored after 1600) with a Renaissance portal and arcades, halls with stucco ceilings, chapel with frescoes (15th century), gallery of Werner Berg. Gothic church with frescoes at Einersdorf (1400-1480) and Madonna (1340-1350); pilgrimage church at Heiligengrab (1761-1772). Wiesenmarkt (annual fair held on September 1), tradition goes back to 1428; from 1918-1920 Yugoslav occupation.
Literature#E. Oberthaler-Krutner, Bleiburg, aktuelle zentraloertliche Probleme einer Kleinstadt an der Grenze, master's thesis, Klagenfurt 1991; H. Wiessner, Stadt im Grenzland, 1960.