Emmersdorf an der Donau#
Emmersdorf an der Donau, Lower Austria, market town in the district of Melk, alt. 240 m, pop. 1,631, area 29.81 km2, on the northern bank of the river Danube, opposite Melk, at the entrance to the Wachau valley. - Summer tourism (36,519 overnight stays). - From the middle of the 13th century, E. operated one of the most important river toll stations on the northern bank of the Danube in Lower Austria. Late Gothic parish church (pier basilica, 15th century) with Baroque western tower; former Rotenhof castle (in Hofamt, built in the 16th century, alterations in 1883); burghers´ houses and winegrowers´ houses (originally built in the 16th century); Luberegg castle (1780, acquired by Emperor Franz II in 1795, today houses Emperor Franz Museum).
Literature#F. Leeb, Chronik des Marktes Emmersdorf und Umgebung, 1959.