b. Bologna (Italy), 1687, d. Vienna, Sept. 27, 1759, painter. Called to Vienna by Prince Eugène in 1715; representative of illusionistic architectural painting (quadratura, the extension of real architecture into imaginary space). Together with painters such as M. Altomonte, J. M. Rottmayr and P. Troger, who specialized in the depiction of people or animals, he participated in creating magnificent frescoes and played a major role in the development of Austrian ceiling painting during the baroque period.
Works#Vienna: Upper and Lower Belvedere, Karlskirche; Lower Austria: Melk monastery, Klosterneuburg; Salzburg: Mirabell Palace; and others.
Literature#U. Knall-Brskovsky, Ital. Quadraturisten in Oe., 1984.