unbekannter Gast


Festenburg Castle, Styria, castle in the municipality of St. Lorenzen am Wechsel. The gate and keep of the medieval castle (first documented mention in 1353) have been preserved, in the 16th and 17th centuries living quarters were added. The castle has been owned by Vorau Abbey since 1616; between 1707-1723 additional wings were added; the main residential tract was converted into a church, next to it is the Calvary with numerous chapels, which has taken the form of a kind of castle of the Holy Grail (frescoes and paintings by J. C. Hackhofer). From 1889-1928 priest and writer O. Kernstock resided in Festenburg Castle as parish priest (memorial rooms).