Goettweig, Lower Austria, Benedictine abbey near the market town of Furth. From the late Neolithic period to the Romans, settlements on Goettweig mountain. The abbey was founded by Bishop Altmann von Passau (Augustinians) in 1083 and taken over by the Benedictines in 1094; the Benedictines were given large estates and several parishes in this area. It burned down in 1580 and was rebuilt by C. Biasino. During the 17th and 18th centuries, abbots like G. Bessel were powerful and influential men in the Goettweig region. In 1718 the abbey was again destroyed by a fire, and partly rebuilt according to construction plans by J.L. von Hildebrandt. The only remaining building from the early Baroque period is the Eretrudis chapel. - Collegiate church: Gothic choir (1402-1431), early Baroque nave (1620), classical façade, lavish ornamentation and furnishings from the late Baroque period, crypt with tombstone of the founder. The abbey´s staircase (Kaiserstiege, with fresco by P. Troger) is considered one of the main works of Austrian Baroque architecture. The abbey comprises the magnificently decorated prelacy and state rooms (Fuerstenzimmer). It houses an art collection and the biggest private collection of graphic art in Austria and hosts special art exhibitions. - With 30 parishes, Goettweig Abbey is an important centre of pastoral work.
Literature#G. Lechner and H. Fasching, Stift Goettweig, 1977; 900 Jahre Goettweig, exhibition catalogue, 1983; Geschichte des Stiftes Goettweig, Studien und Mitteilungen aus dem Benediktinerorden 94, 1983.