Lockenhaus, Burgenland, market town in the district of Oberpullendorf, alt. 336 m, pop. 2,047, area 58.86 km2, on the river Guens, north of Geschriebenstein mountain (alt. 884 m), near the Hungarian border. - School museum with educational centre (seminars), chamber music festival (July). Furniture factory, production of electronic components. - Early Baroque parish church (formerly Franciscans, later Augustinian Hermits) with crypt, consecrated in 1669; former monastery (1655-1668), from 1868 summer residence of the Esterházy family; Calvary Church (1864) and Stations of the Cross; castle, donjon, residential building with remarkable hall (around 1230), chapel with remains of frescos (around 1230, oldest in Burgenland), components 16th /17th centuries, underground room with 2 apses, believed to have been a place of worship (assembly room of the Knights Templars) or a cistern.
Literature#A. Schermann, Geschichte von Lockenhaus, 1936.