Perg, Upper Austria, town in the district of Perg, alt. 250 m, pop. 5,958 (1981: pop. 5,207), area 26.46 km2, on the River Naarn, main town in the Machland region, in the south eastern part of the Muehlviertel region. - District commission, district court, Labour Market Service, fiscal authority office, economic chamber, chamber of labour, district chamber of agricultural and allied workers, Gebietskrankenkasse (branch office of the health and social insurance agency), road maintenance agency, youth centre, distric sports hall, Bundesoberstufenrealgymnasium secondary school, commercial academy, advanced level commercial school, four power plants (one of them privately owned); 4,343 employed persons (as of 1991), building and construction enterprises, chemical industry (dyes), confectionery factory, production of doors and windows, summer tourism on a small scale. Awarded the status of town in 1969. - Parish church, Gothic hall church (1416-1530), stellar and net vault, late Gothic sculpture of the Mother of God in the confession chapel (beginning of the 16th century); pillory (1583); octogonal fountain (second half of the 17th century); old burgher houses with curved gables, stucco decoration and window gratings in Baroque style; Calvary chapel (1754) with Rococo decoration and crucifixion group; former Altenburg Castle, on its foundations is a Roman - Gothic filial church with frescoes (1512); local heritage museum with finds from the Slavic burial site in Auhof and from Hinterberg Castle (dating back to the late Middle Ages).
Literature#K. Eibensteiner, Das Heimatbuch von Perg, 1932; M. Oberleitner, Strukturanalyse der Gemeinde Perg, master's thesis, Salzburg 1992.