b. Vienna, May 21, 1918, d. Vienna, Aug. 20, 1975 (suicide), architect. From 1959 Professor at the University of Technology in Vienna, from 1963 atelier in Munich. His Austria Pavilion at the 1958 Brussels world exhibition today houses the Museum of the 20th Century in the Schweizergarten in Vienna's 3rd district. Best known for his buildings for BMW in Munich; their architectural features reflect the product (car engines) and thus the company's corporate identity. Numerous awards, including the Grand Austrian State Prize (posthumously in 1975).
Further works#Vienna: extension of the Capucin sepulchre, 1958-1960; residential scheme Tivoli, 1960; extension of the School of Applied Art, 1960-1965 (with E. Woerle); Christkoenigkirche church Poetzleinsdorf, 1960-964; WIFI, 1964; Philips administration building, 1962-1964. - St. Poelten: WIFI, 1972. - BMW Munich: multi-storey car park, 1970; administration building, 1972; museum, 1973. - Brasilia: Austrian embassy, 1974.
Literature#P. M. Bode and G. Peichl, Architektur aus Oe. seit 1960, 1980; F. Achleitner, Oe. Architektur im 20. Jh., vol. 2, 1983 and vol. 3/1, 1990; Magistrat der Stadt Wien (ed.), Architektur in Wien, 1984; N. Pevsner et al., Lexikon der Weltarchitektur, 1992.