Traiskirchen, Lower Austria, town in the district of Baden, alt. 201 m, pop. 13,852, area 29.06 km2. Traiskirchen is an industrial town situated in the Vienna Basin. - Centre of welfare work of the Federal Ministry of the Interior (in the former refugee camp), counselling centre, Office for Defense Technology in Moellersdorf, federal research centre for agricultural chemistry, composting plant of the environmental protection authorities of Lower Austria, sport centre, Hilfswerk charitable association, transformer station. Around 72% of the 8,490 gainfully employed people work in industry and trade: Semperit (company producing tyres, production of asphalt coverings, confectionery and furniture industry; in Moellersdorf: paper works (labels) and metal works (clutches), iron foundry; Traiskirchen-Sued industrial centre (in the cadastral municipality of Oeynhausen): building trade, steel bending, kitchen fittings, coffee roasters; trade, wine growing. - Documented mention in 1113, old wine growing village, chartered in 1927; Traiskirchen consists of an older settlement near the fortified parish church and a newer settlement near the town square (from around 1300) above St. Nikolaus church (Baroque alterations, originally Romanesque); Trinity column (1722).The present St. Margareta parish church was built in 1755 according to plans by M. Gerl, some late Gothic sections, fine Rococo interior (1760-1770).
Literature#G. Fuchsberger, Heimatbuch Traiskirchen, 1979; Oesterreichisches Staedtebuch vol. IV, part 3, Die Staedte Niederoesterreichs, 1982; M. Wiedhalm, Die wirtschaftliche Entwicklung der Stadtgemeinde Traiskirchen, master´s thesis, Vienna, 1986; R. Biegler and F. Schloegl, Die Stadt Traiskirchen, 1987.