A series of coups in the 1970s was followed by a Soviet invasion and a series of civil wars that devastated much of Afghanistan.
- Afghanistan is a land locked country.
- Afghanistan has largest boundary with Pakistan which is approximately 2430 km .
- Afghanistan has shortest boundary with China which is approximately 76 km .
- The largest river in Afghanistan is Indus which is 3180 km.
- The largest export partner of Afghanistan is Pakistan.
- The largest import partner of Afghanistan is Pakistan.
Tourist Attraction#Mazar-e Sharif's blue-tiled Hazrat Ali mosque draws Muslim faithful, tourists, and hungry pigeons.
- The national bird of Afghanistan is Golden eagle.
- The national sport of Afghanistan is Buzkashi.
- The famous dances of Afghanistan are Attan and Khattak.