The capital, Baghdad, is in the centre of the country and its largest city.
The largest ethnic groups in Iraq are Arabs and Kurds.
A monarchy was established in 1921 and the Kingdom of Iraq gained independence from Britain in 1932. In 1958, the monarchy was overthrown and the Iraqi Republic was created. Iraq was controlled by the Arab Socialist Ba'ath Party from 1968 until 2003.
After an invasion by the United States and its allies in 2003, Saddam Hussein's Ba'ath Party was removed from power and multi-party parliamentary elections were held in 2005.
The American presence in Iraq ended in 2011, but the Iraqi insurgency continued and intensified as fighters from the Syrian Civil War spilled into the country.
- Iraq has largest boundary with Iran which is approximately 1458 km.
- Iraq has shortest boundary with Jordan which is approximately 181 km.
- The largest river in Iraq is Euphrates which is 2800 km.
- The largest export partner of Iraq is US.
- The largest import partner of Iraq is Turkey.
- There are 5 seaports in Iraq.
Tourist Attraction#Morning prayers call the faithful to the glittering domes of Baghdad's Kadhimain mosque.
- Rose is the national flower of Iraq
- The famous dances of Iraq are Dabke, Kurdish dance, Khigga.