A separate Slovak Republic (1939–1945) existed in World War II as a client state of Nazi Germany. In 1945, Czechoslovakia was re-established under communist rule as a Soviet satellite. Slovakia became an independent state on 1 January 1993 after the peaceful dissolution of Czechoslovakia.
The country joined the European Union in 2004 and the Eurozone on 1 January 2009.
The capital and largest city is Bratislava.
- Slovakia is a land locked country.
- Slovakia has largest boundary with Hungary which is approximately 676 km .
- Slovakia has shortest boundary with Ukraine which is approximately 90 km .
- The largest river in Slovakia is Danube which is 2850 km.
- The largest export partner of Slovakia is Germany.
- The largest import partner of Slovakia is Germany.
- There are 2 seaports in Slovakia.
National Facts of Slovakia#
- Rose is the national flower of Slovakia
- The national dish of Slovakia is Bryndzové halušky
- Text marked as italic is taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovakia unter CC