Its capital city is London, an important global city and financial centre with an urban population of 10,310,000, the fourth-largest in Europe and second-largest in the European Union.
These are the remnants of the British Empire which, at its height in the 1920s, encompassed almost a quarter of the world's land mass and was the largest empire in history.
The UK has been a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council since its first session in 1946. It has been a member state of the European Union (EU) and its predecessor, the European Economic Community (EEC), since 1973; it is also a member of the Commonwealth of Nations, the Council of Europe, the G7 finance ministers, the G7 forum, the G20, NATO, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), and the World Trade Organization (WTO).
- United Kingdom has largest boundary with Ireland which is approximately 360 km.
- The largest river in United Kingdom is Severn which is 350 km.
- The largest export partner of United Kingdom is Germany.
- The largest import partner of United Kingdom is Germany.
- There are 731 seaports in United Kingdom.
Surprising facts about Nobel Prize winners#
- United Kingdom is a country with the person Paul Adrien Maurice Dirac (born in United Kingdom) who got the Nobel Prize at the young age of 31 years.
- United Kingdom is a country with 3 Nobel Prize Winners (born in United kingdom) in a year (6 times).
National Facts of United Kingdom#
- Bulldog, Barbary lion are considered as national animals.
- Tudor Rose is the national flower of United Kingdom.
- Morris dance, Country dance are considered as the national dances of United Kingdom.
- Text marked as italic is taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom.