Lustenau, Vorarlberg, market town in the district of Dornbirn, alt. 404 m, pop. 18,484, area 22.26 km2, in the Rheintal valley west of Dornbirn at the Swiss border; biggest market municipality of Austria. - Provincial equipment yard of the provincial office for hydraulic engineering, customs office, Chamber of Labour, health and social insurance office, Reichshofsaal (municipal authorities), New-Apostolic community, Islamic cultural centre, ice stadium (Rheinhalle); schools: commercial academy, vocational school of domestic sciences; newspaper: "Vorarlberger Nachrichten"; waste management centre; 7,169 gainfully employed in 1991, of which about 60 % in trade and industry: Textile industry with numerous embroidery and knitting factories dominates, also metal and wood processing; in the service sector mostly commercial enterprises, tourism (44,771 over-night stays). - First documented mention in 887, Carolingian king´s court "Lustenowa". The town, which is characterised by embroidery workshops from 1868 (museum), did not become part of Austria until 1814. The neo-Romanesque Lustenau-Kirchdorf parish church was built in 1830 and was modified into a hall church between 1872-1875; Lustenau-Rheindorf church built in 1933/34, church in Hasenfeld built between 1969-1975. Factory buildings and villas from the early 20th century. Hollenstein Gallery since 1971.
Literature#R. Alge, 1100 Jahre Lustenau, 1987; Kulturreferat der Marktgemeinde Lustenau (ed.), Lustenau und seine Geschichte, 3 vols., 1988-1992.