Ranshofen, Upper Austria, village in the district of Braunau, alt. 380 m, industrial centre situated south of Braunau am Inn (cadastral district). - Largest aluminium works in Austria, the electrolytic refinery was been closed down in 1992 and only secondary and imported aluminium is processed there ( Austria Metall AG). Part of the industrial area of Braunau with medium-sized enterprises is located in Ranshofen. - Documented mention in 788, in the 9th century imperial palace, Emperor Arnulf founded the chapel of St. Pancras in 898, an Augustinian monastery was established in 1125 (closed in 1811). - Former Gothic collegiate church, today the parish church (1508-1515), partly redecorated in Baroque style, a new tower was added (1621-1630), high Baroque furniture and interior, high altar with excellent statues, six side altars, choir stalls and pews (around 1699); stucco work by M. Salleitner and J. Schmidt, stucco in the Rosary chapel by M. Vierthaler (around 1710), gravestones dating back to 14th - 18th centuries, octagonal Gothic charnel-house (1337) with Gothic frescoes; building of former monastery from the 17th /18th centuries, with Rococo stairwell and library.
Literature#H. Schopf, Die Geschichte des Augustiner-Chorherrenstiftes Ranshofen am Inn im Mittelalter (1125-1426), doctoral thesis, Innsbruck 1985; M. Eitzlmayr, Ranshofen, 1987.