Technische Universität Graz#
University of Technology, Graz (additional name since 1976: Erzherzog-Johann-Universitaet), developed out of the Joanneum, founded in 1811. It was organised as an institute of higher learning in 1864 under the name of "Steiermaerkische Landschaftliche Hochschule" (Styria College of Agriculture), which offered 2 general courses and 4 "Fachschulen" (technical colleges); in 1872, the general courses were abandoned and a secondary-school leaving certificate ("Reifepruefung") was made an admission requirement; in the same year, the university was granted the right to elect a rector; nationalised in 1874; in 1878, introduction of state examinations (since 1917, graduates have been awarded the title "Ingenieur" (engineer), new buildings in 1888, in 1901 given the right to confer doctorates, in 1928, the technical colleges were renamed faculties. From 1935-1937, it was combined with the ( University of Mining and Metallurgy) in Leoben; in 1941, it was organised in 3 faculties, in 1945 in 4, in 1955 again in 3 faculties; in 1975, it adopted the status of University of Technology and is currently organised in 5 faculties: Architecture, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Electronics and Technical Sciences.
Literature#Technische Universitaet Graz, Erzherzog-Johann-Universitaet. Geschichte, Lehr- und Forschungstaetigkeit, 1978; H. P. Weingand, Die Technische Hochschule Graz im Dritten Reich, 1988; J. W. Wohinz (ed.), Die Technik in Graz, 1999.