Tulln an der Donau#
Tulln an der Donau, Lower Austria, town in the district of Tulln, alt. 180 m, pop. 12,038, area 72.22 km2, situated on the southern bank of the Danube, political and economic centre of the Tullnerfeld Plain; 3 bridges across the Danube (2 road bridges and 1 railway bridge), landing stage; Tulln is called "Austria´s flower and garden city" because of its annual flower fair. - District Commission, district court, employment services, internal revenue office, customs office, health office, office of weights and measures, power supply authorities and shipping police, building authorities of the Federal River Regulation office, road authorities, tree nursery and gardens of the federal research centre for forestry, central office for agricultural matters of the Provincial Government of Lower Austria, Economic Chamber, Chamber of Labour, provincial Chamber of Agriculture, Health Insurance Office, hospital, Red Cross head office of Lower Austria, psychological and social centre, Caritas day centre for the disabled, children´s home of the "Volkshilfe" organisation, "Lebenshilfe" social centre, "Hilfswerk" relief organisation, counselling centre for the unemployed, head office of the Lower Austrian fire brigades and the civil defense (fire brigade school, fire brigade museum); agricultural biotechnology research centre, Bundesgyymnasium and Bundesrealgymnasium secondary schools, commercial academy, commercial school, advanced-level commercial school, agricultural trade school, fire brigade school, school for nursing care, school for aviation, adult education centre, arts and crafts workshop, town hall, historical museums in the monastery of the Friars Minor, Egon Schiele museum, park, exhibition grounds of the Tulln Messe Ges. m. b. H., port for yachts, water pump works, transformer station, Langenlebarn airfield with glider hangar. Industry and trade: sugar factory, large printing shop, building trade (e.g. concrete prefabricates), production of windows and metal parts, specialized mechanical engineering, processing of animal carcasses. In 1991 around 64% of the 6,711 gainfully employed people were working in the service sector (especially trades, public and social service). - History: Tulln was the Roman naval base of "Comagena", first documented mention in 791, as "civitas" in 1014, first documented mention as a chartered town in 1270, Tulln was mentioned in the Nibelungenlied; important trade post and judicial court town in the Middle Ages, military base of the relieving army in 1683 when Vienna was under Turkish siege. - Parish church of St. Stephan, Romanesque twin-towered basilica with nave walls resting on pillars (12th century), altered and partly rebuilt in the Gothic period (choir from the first part of the 14th century) and the Baroque period (Baroque towers), Romanesque wall structure and Romanesque west portal with demi-figures in rounded niches (13th century), interior with Baroque altars (1725-1786), Rococo choir (around 1750) from the Carthusian monastery in Gaming, several tombstones (15th - 18th centuries); one of the most beautiful late Romanesque charnel houses (around 1240) in Austria, built by the Wiener Bauhuette, with a magnificent doorway and Romanesque frescoes (altered in 1873); former church of the Friars Minor (1732-1739) with elaborate baroque strapwork and late Baroque furnishings and Friars Minor monastery (today office and museum); city tower (16th century); salt tower with late Romanesque core; former Dominican convent, some parts from the 17th century; former Capuchin monastery (17th century); Trinity Column (1695); column of the Virgin Mary (around 1700); burghers´ houses with Gothic core and late Gothic details, Baroque and historicist façades.
Literature#O. Biack, Geschichte der Stadt T., 1982; Oesterreichisches Staedtebuch vol. IV, part 3, Die Staedte Niederoesterreichs, 1982; Stadtgemeinde T. (ed.), 1200 Jahre T., 1991; Stadtpfarre St. Stephan (ed.), Kirchliche Bauwerke in T., 1999.