unbekannter Gast

Vittoriosa - Old Town#

Vittoriosa - Old Town
Vittoriosa - Old Town, March 2016, © Gerhard Huber, under CC BY 4.0

When the Order of St. John came to Malta in 1530, it resided in Mdina for a short time. After only one year, it moved to Birgu. In 1565, after the Turkish Siege, the then small fishing village was renamed in Vittoriosa, the 'Victorious'.
Als der Johanniterorden 1530 nach Malta kam, residierte er nur kurz in Mdina. Schon nach einem Jahr verlegte er seinen Hauptsitz nach Birgu. Das damals kleine Fischerdorf wurde 1565 nach der großen Türkenbelagerung in Vittoriosa, die 'Siegreiche' umbenannt.