Engelhartszell, Upper Austria, market town in the district of Schaerding, alt. 302 m, pop. 1,160, area 18.83 km2, ancient market town on the right bank of the river Danube, opposite the Austro-German border; Danube Steamship Company landing quay. - District court, customs station, the Austro-Bavarian Danube run-of-river power station Jochenstein (built in 1956, 132 MW) is 1 km north-west of E., water-level indicator of the hydrographical office, river and port control station; production of stationery and liqueur. - First documented mention in 1194. Former Cistercian abbey Engelszell (1293-1786), since 1925 Trappist monastery (the only one in Austria), Rococo collegiate church (built 1754-1763), splendid frescoes by B. Altomonte in the choir and the library; frescoes in the nave by F. Froehlich 1957, Rococo decorations with stuccowork (pulpit and altars) by G. Uebelherr, monastery building with Gothic chapter house (1st half of the 14th century).
Literature#A. Benezeder, Engelhardszell 1194-1961, 1961.