Serfaus, Tyrol, market town in the municipality of Landeck, alt. 1,429 m, pop. 1,041, area 59.64 km2, tourist resort (652,181 overnight stays in 1992, particularly winter tourism) and pilgrimage place; old mountain village and ancient parish in the Upper Inn Valley at the base of the Samnaun Mountains. The western part of the market town has preserved much of its Rhaeto-Romanic character. - Tyrolean museum of the Imperial Hunters Regiment (Kaiserjaegermuseum), Sisters of Mercy, subterranean air-cushion railway, cable car up Komperdellalpe Mountain (observatory), Lazid cablecar to Lazidkopf peak (2,346 m), Serfaus power station. - Late Gothic parish church (1497-1516), redecorated in Baroque style after 1760, with ceiling paintings (1766) by P. J. Greil, Baroque high altar, carved figures and pulpit by J. Koelle (1763); Gothic pilgrimage church ("Unsere Liebe Frau im Walde", documented mention in 1300) with Gothic frescoes (late 14th century), miracle-working image of the Virgin (around 1300) and relief (around 1520); subsidiary church (documented mention in 1429), north of Toesens, with late Gothic frescoes (1482), winged altar (around 1500) and the oldest collection of relics in Tyrol; Plague Chapel (1635); stone bridge ("Roman bridge").
Literature#H. Mang, Tiroler Berggemeinde im Wandel: Serfaus, Fiss, Ladis, 1970; G. Juen, Serfaus. Ein Bergdorf im Wandel der Jahrhunderte, 1975.