Murau, Styria, town in the district of Murau, alt. 829 m, pop. 2,443, area 10.74 km2, main town in the uppermost Styrian Mur Valley, at the mouth of the Rantenbach stream. - District commission, local court, district school inspectorate, employment services, economic chamber, chamber of labour, district chamber of agriculture and forestry, district health and social insurance office (branch), counselling centre, Protestant diocesan museum, town library, world championship hall, "Murau West" facilities for sports and recreational activities, 5 ski jumps (120, 80, 50, 30, 20 m), several types of secondary school such as Bundes-Oberstufen-Realgymnasium (BORG), vocational part-time school of commerce (Hoehere Bundeslehranstalt, HBLA), power station of the Murau public works (1907, stages of completion: 1925, 1954, 1984/84, 2000 kW). Nearby, in the municipality of Stolzalpe, Stolzalpe special hospital. 1,728 employees (1991), about 74 % of which in the service sector; also: brewery, metal processing, crafts and trades, tourism (35,988 overnight stays). - Early settlements (Bronze Age and Roman times); founded by the Liechtenstein dynasty, first documented mention 1250, town charter 1298, in the Middle Ages transfer point for iron and salt. - 2 of the former 7 town gates have been preserved, i.e. Friesachertor (14th /15th centuries) and Gissuebeltor (14th century, 1939 exposed); Obermurau Castle dominates the town, rebuilt 1628-1630, castle chapel with altar (around 1655), ceremonial rooms with stucco (1641); early Gothic parish church (consecrated 1296), important pier basilica with impressive crossing tower, frescoes (14th to 15th centuries), high altar (first documented mention 1655) with crucifixion group (around 1500), gravestones with coats of arms (16th to 18th centuries); in front of the church, Gothic lamp post (15th century); Gothic filial church of St. Anna (around 1400) with Gothic glass paintings (around 1410-1420), frescoes (15th century) and winged altar-piece (around 1515); Baroque Stations of the Cross along the path leading to St. Leonhard´s Church (1st third of the 15th century), high altar with 3 late Gothic statues (around 1520), ivory crucifixion group (end of 17th century); former hospital church (first documented mention 1329, used for Protestant religious service since 1979/80); Capuchin monastery (museum of local history and culture) and Capuchin church (consecrated 1648), high altar with altarpiece (1780) by J. V. Lederwasch, banner captured at the battle of Peterwardein in the Loreto Chapel; Gruenfels Castle (first documented mention 1366); town hall (former fortified tower 1578-1879 and since 1920 town hall); old patrician houses (main parts from late Middle Ages and 17th century); column of the Virgin (1717).
Literature#E. Gasteiger (ed.), 650 Jahre Stadt Murau, 1949; F. Tremel, Beitraege zur Geschichte von Murau, 1957; K. Fussi, Murau von der Stadtwerdung bis zum Ausgang des Mittelalters, master´s thesis, Klagenfurt 1985.