Its capital Damascus is among the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world.
It gained independence as a parliamentary republic on 24 October 1945 when Syria became a founding member of the United Nations, an act which legally ended the former French Mandate – although French troops did not leave the country until April 1946.
- Syria has largest boundary with Turkey which is approximately 822 km.
- Syria has shortest boundary with Israel which is approximately 76 km.
- The largest river in Syria is Euphrates which is 2800 km.
- The largest export partner of Syria is Iraq.
- The largest import partner of Syria is Saudi.
- There are 5 seaports in Syria.
Tourist Attraction#Hidden in the desert, Palmyra is one of the world's most well preserved historic sites.
- The national dances of Syria are Dabke, Khigga etc.
- The famous dishes of Syria is Kibbeh.
- Text marked as italic is taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syria unter CC