Neunkirchen, Lower Austria, municipality in the district of Neunkirchen, alt. 366m, pop. 10,216, area 20.28 km2, situated at the point of entry of the River Schwarza into the Steinfeld area. - District administration authorities, district court, Economic Chamber and Institute of Economic Development (WIFI), District Chamber of Agricultural and Allied Workers, Chamber of Labour, Employment Services, tax authorities, Office of Weights and Measures, highway maintenance depot, regional health and social insurance agency, hospital, Lower Austrian Institute of Vocational Guidance, Islamic cultural centre, information centres (for women and foreigners; psychosocial services), centre for asylum seekers and refugees, several charity organisations (Hilfswerk, Volkshilfe), community college, various secondary grammar and vocational training schools, recreation centre, city library; about 73% of all gainfully employed persons work in services industries: personal, social and public services (Majority of jobs provided by the hospital), commercial firms. Industrial production (decreasing since the 1970s), concrete and building materials works, wood processing, mechanical and steel engineering, bead chain production, many building enterprises. - First documented mention in 1094 as "Niuwenchirgun", mint in the 12th century, destroyed by the Turks in 1683, industrial town since the 19th century, given the status of a town in 1920. - Early Gothic parish church with late-Gothic and Baroque parts, late-Gothic star-ribbed and net-ribbed vaults reconstructed after a fire in 1907, Rococo interior; Pauline monastery (16th century), altered in the 18th century; Renaissance and Baroque houses, museum; municipal museum of local history and culture (established in 1910) with coins from the old mint of Neunkirchen (12th and 13th century); Trinity column (1724); Johannes-Nepomuk-Column (1st half of the 18th century).
Literature#Stadtgemeinde Neunkirchen (ed.), festschrift Neunkirchen - 50 Jahre Stadt (1920-1970), 1970; Oesterr. Staedtebuch, vol. IV, part 2, Die Staedte Niederoesterreichs, 1976.